If breakfast at your house is anything like ours, it’s hurried and often very early since Lane or I have to train at 5:30 in the morning. We need something to keep us full, energized and give us that nutritional boosts that typical packaged breakfast foods just can’t offer. This slow cooker recipe is a great one to make on the weekends and portion out into individual containers for the week.
Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats:
Makes 4-5 servings
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- Cooking Spray
- 2 Apples (Fuji or Gala or Honeycrisp) - peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats (uncooked)
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or less if you want it less sweet)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Spray Crock-Pot with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, water and butter in Crock Pot.
- Add oats and remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cook on low 3 hours until oats are soft.
* Keep an eye on this as my slow-cooker cooks relatively warm so mine are done cooking earlier. You can stir along the way to make sure the oats don't stick to the sides.
* Top with nuts when serving if desired.